June 21, 2012

Tour of LA


When you live in a big city like Los Angeles, it means that people make it a point to visit you. Not just because they want to see you, but because you happen to live in a city that people want to visit. I am fine with that and I embrace that. 

My mom is coming for the weekend so I am reaching for my list of things to do when people come to Los Angeles and I thought I would share. I know that there a million things that we could add to this list, but these are things I do and places that I go when my friends and family aren't in town and so I choose to take them to these things so they can get a little slice of my life. 

Activities:
-Shopping at The Grove or The Americana at Brand- Some of my family and friends live in very small towns so what they really want is just a kick ass mall. These malls are great because they are outdoors so you get to have the best of both worlds.
-Santa Monica Pier or Third Street Promenade- I kind of avoid these places normally, but out of towners love it and you just gotta bite the bullet and do it. 
-Melrose Trading Post- This is a fun and easy flea market to take people to and you usually see a celebrity or two.
-Movies at The Arclight
-Griffith Park Observatory- Cheap and fun activity to give people an amazing view of L.A (If I don't want to deal with a crowd at the observatory, I will take them to a look out point on Mulholland Drive.
-Day Trips or over night getaways to Santa Barbara, Ventura, Laguna Beach or Palm Springs
-Manicure/Pedicure- No trip to LA is complete without getting a mani/pedi. 
-Thai Massage- If you or your friends are ballin' on a budget, this is a nice way to get relaxed without breaking the bank. There are lots of nice (and legit) Thai Massage places around LA. There is one near my house that my mom and I usually go to when she comes to town. The other nice thing is you usually don't need an appointment for these so it is easy to squeeze into the day. 
-Beach day at Paradise Cove- This is our favorite beach spot in Malibu because it is a private beach which makes it a little less crowded. They allow you to bring in your own beer and wine which helps cut on costs. If you buy $20 worth of food (Take-out) from the restaurant you get to park for only $5. 
-Menchies or Yogurtland- Now, if you live in Los Angeles you might think this is a weird one, but trust me, everyone loves frozen yogurt, especially when it is self serve. I happen to live right by a Menchies so it is a nice walk through out neighborhood to go to it. 
-Walking around cool neighborhoods like Los Feliz, Silverlake or Echo Park. Some of my friends love to come to these neighborhoods to shop around and check out the "scene". We usually take people to Intelligentsia in the Sunset Junction for coffee. 
-Olvera street in DTLA- I have only done this once but we had fun and got some cool souvenirs. I would like to take the train down there sometime. 
-Orange (the city, not the county)-This is a cute little town with an awesome downtown area with lots of antique malls and other cute shops
-Yoga- I practice yoga regularly so when I have guests in town for long periods of time, I try to make them take a class with me. It gets people out of the regular vacation mode of eating too much and feeling gross and it is a fun activity to do together. 

Restaurants:
Katsuya- This is our all time favorite restaurant and we are regulars here. This is an absolute must if you are coming to visit me. The best sushi ever, hands down.
Cafe Med- This Italian restaurant might seem ordinary but we like to bring people here because sometimes people just want to feel like they are in Hollywood. This is right on Sunset, you can sit outside and there is free parking! Enough said.
Laurel Tavern- Awesome gastro pub near our house
LaLa's- great Argentinian food with good prices and large portions
Casa Vega- Our favorite Mexican restaurant. It has been around forever, the margaritas are delicious and the ambiance is great.
Mexi-Cali- This is another Mexican place that has okay food but great drinks and an awesome Happy Hour menu
Pho Cafe or Blossom- If you haven't heard of Pho Cafe it is probably because most people refer to it as "Hipster Pho", which it is, but it is still awesome. We also have been going to Blossom lately, which has a cool vibe and a bigger menu that Pho Cafe.
Chaioti Pizza or Pitfire Pizza- Cool pizza places near where we live
Yamatos-This is a Benihana style restaurant that we like to take people to, especially when there are kids in the group. They love it. It is like dinner and a show. 
Umami Burger- There are multiple locations and this is always a crowd pleaser. Yummy burgers and awesome sides. Good beer selection and fun cocktails. 
Figaro- Yummy French place in Los Feliz with a great Happy Hour menu from 5-7. 
Thirsty Crow- This is a great whiskey bar in Silverlake. I love the Mint Julep. 


Breakfast/lunch
-Kings Road Cafe- Good solid breakfast place with great coffee near our house. You can usually see a few B-list celebrities here.
-Le Pain Quotidien- Another good breakfast spot, these are all over LA which is nice.
-Artisan Cheese Gallery- Awesome cheese and wine bar with good salads and sandwiches and cheese platters. Great for a mid-day snack and a glass of wine.
-Aroma Cafe or The Alcove- These places are owned by the same people and are good to please a group because of the extensive menu. The outdoor seating is nice but the lines can be long so don't go here if you are starving.
-The Oinkster- This place was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives so if we take people here we make them watch the segment on YouTube. Awesome pulled pork and brisket sandwiches. *Not good for vegetarians
-Little Dom's- Great brunch spot in Los Feliz. You can get a bottle of champagne for mimosas for $12. Can't beat it.
-Home- There is one in Silverlake and Los Feliz, but I prefer the latter. Breakfast is good, lots of veggie options and my favorite bloody mary in town. 

What do you like to do when you have visitors in Los Angeles?

1 comment:

Tamaras Blend said...

I feel you - it was the same when I lived in Berlin a while ago. :-) Must be awesome to live in LA!

http://www.tamarasblend.com/